Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130152] Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:46:10 -0400 (EDT)

It is possible, but I found it requires a couple of layers of abstraction.
(Perhaps there's an easier way.)

Basically, wrap calls to RandomReal[] etc. with something that can hold persistent state. On each call, SeedRandom[lastState], then lastState = Random`GetRandomState[]. The body looks something like this:

    method[Hold[e__] ] := BlockRandom[SeedRandom@lastState;
        With[{result = e}, lastState = Random`GetRandomState[]; result]];

(Implementation of <object>`method not shown. It uses my own flyweight OO framework.)

This has allowed me to run an arbitrary number of unique and reproducible random # streams.

Sorry that there's no time for more detail now.

Vince