MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130152] Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:46:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <khsbbv$36f$1@smc.vnet.net>

It is possible, but I found it requires a couple of layers of abstraction. 
(Perhaps there's an easier way.)

Basically, wrap calls to RandomReal[] etc. with something that can hold persistent state. On each call, SeedRandom[lastState], then lastState = Random`GetRandomState[]. The body looks something like this:

method[Hold[e__] ] := BlockRandom[SeedRandom@lastState;
        With[{result = e}, lastState = Random`GetRandomState[]; result]];

(Implementation of <object>`method not shown. It uses my own flyweight OO framework.)

This has allowed me to run an arbitrary number of unique and reproducible random # streams.

Sorry that there's no time for more detail now.

Vince

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:13:03 AM UTC-4, Roger Wilson wrote:
> Hopefully the title is enough of a red flag for someone to try to prove me wrong.
>
>
>
> I want to implement two functions; lets call them f and g so that they both return random numbers.  For example...
>
>
>
> f[]:=RandomReal[];
>
> g[]:=RandomReal[];
>
>
>
> However I want f and g to return the same number when they're called for the nth time.  So the first call to f is always the same number and the first call to g is always the same number.
>
>
>
> In the above case (on my machine)...
>
> SeedRandom[1]; {f[], g[]} gives {0.168697, 0.113119}
>
>
>
> and of course..
>
> SeedRandom[1]; {g[], f[]} gives the same {0.817389, 0.11142}
>
>
>
> Essentially I want f and g to to be independent random sources.
>
>
>
> It is possible to localize the random number generators using BlockRandom but I do not see how that helps me in this case.  BlockRandom localizes the state of the random number generators within the block where as I want to localize them into the symbol names.
>
>
>
> Roger

• Prev by Date: Re: NDSolve PDE problem
  • Next by Date: Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
  • Previous by thread: Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
  • Next by thread: Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.