Remote kernel fails to launch

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130731] Remote kernel fails to launch
  • From: Ronnie <ronnie.mainieri at>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 03:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
On my new MacBook running MacOS 10.8.3, the remote kernel connection fails when using the Kernel Configuration Options defaults.  I'm looking for suggestions of things to try or look into.

My setup consists of a laptop running Mathematica 9.0.1 connecting to Mathematica 9.0 on a Linux box running an up-to-date version of Centos 5 (not 6).

I'm able to get the Mathematica to run with a remote kernel if I start the remote kernel manually.  I ssh into remote, type

  remote] math -mathlink -linkcreate -linkprotocol TCPIP

copy the mathlink name, paste

  -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName 36583 at,41142 at

into the Arguments to MLOpen of the Kernel Configuration Options textbox, make the launch command blank, and "launch" the kernel on the front end.  The front end on the laptop works fine communicating with the kernel.

All this is being done on a local network.  The firewall is off on my laptop and the remote server does not have a firewall.  My MacBook is brand new, with a fresh copy of 10.8.  Before I had all this running on 10.7 with Mathematica 8.  Ssh uses keys to connect without typing a password.  User on the remote and laptop have different userids.

I succeeded launching the kernel if I pick the linkname beforehand and write my own, variable free launch command.

If I use X11 to do the reverse, start the front end on the remote server and connect to an already running kernel on my laptop, the connection fails.  This suggests that MountainLion has some new safety feature, but I have no idea what it may be.

How do I get my front end to launch the remote kernel automatically?