What happend to Image?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130735] What happend to Image?
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:09:52 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Community,

I just noticed that the function Image[ ] has unexpectedly  changed since 9.0.0.

Some time ago I have written a handy program working with the image. I have once published it here. Among others this program applied the operation

ReplacePart[image,{4,2}?size]

Where image was the image in use and size has been a parameter equal to a desired ImageSize option. This worked previously. Now it does not.

I checked that the Image indeed has changed somehow.

Let us load any image. For example, this:

lena = Import["ExampleData/lena.tif"]

One may check that this is indeed an image:

Head[lena]

Image

Let us do like this:

lena2= Image[lena, ImageSize -> 300]

then the {{4,2}} part should memorize its size.

One may look at its TreeForm (evaluate this and make sure that it has levels 0, 1, and 2), and {{4,2}} is indeed 300

TreeForm[lena2]

However, if one would evaluate this

Lena2[[4,2]]

he get the message
Part::partd: Part specification... is longer than depth of object\""

Not only {{4,2}}, but also other leaves of the tree are not acceccible.

What happened to the Image?

Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.