Re: How Random works?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130744] Re: How Random works?
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

On May 7, 2:53 am, Joug Raw <joug... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know which algorithm Mathematica are using to generate random
> numbers. How large is its period? And how the deterministic part works? I
> also need to have an quantitative idea about the bias in a random sequence
> produced by this algorithm.
>
> I tried google it, but have nothing found regarding to any details about
> the algorithm. Any one can help? Thanks.

A Google search using the line below came up with a number of viable
hits.

mathematica random numbers

Here is one such. It has a method section among other things.

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/RandomNumberGeneration.html

This StackExchange thread might also have some bearing on the matter.

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/3208/quality-of-random-numbers

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research