Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130802] Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 03:29:01 -0400 (EDT)

Alexei, have you tried the KeyEquations and References sections of
Presentations?

KeyEquations allows you to maintain a list of key equations for a notebook.
You have complete control of the formatting of the equation, the label of
the equation, and the display of the reference in text cells. You can have
numbered and unnumbered equations. The text references for numbered
equations are dynamically updated if the table is changed.

This brings up an interesting topic. Equation references have always been a
weak spot in static serial documents. You have to leave where you are and go
find the equation. Often it may be difficult to find the equation if the
equations are sparse or not well marked. In any case you have to maneuver
between two locations in the document. With dynamics we can click on the
reference and be automatically transported to the location of the referenced
equation. That is an unimaginative and poor use of dynamic tools! It
violates a prime principle of dynamic notebooks. "Don't jerk the reader
around!" Instead of transporting the reader to where the information happens
to be in a notebook (with the added problem of getting back), bring the
information to him where he is and where he needs to use it.

With KeyEquations you have complete control of the format of the reference.
I just did an example where I formatted the reference such that a Tooltip
that displays the equation appears on the reference and in addition I added
a small Paste button that can be used to paste the equation into your
notebook where you want it. This same technique could be used for serving up
all kinds of information to the reader. That's being nice to the reader and
treating him with respect.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Alexei Boulbitch [mailto:Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu]

3. When writing articles using Mathematica as a redactor I need referencing
of literature, numbered equations and figures. I do not need referencing
anything else. Indeed, there is such a feature in Mathematica, I use it, and
it is a headache.

One can compare the easiness of making such a task with EndNote for
references and MathType for numeration of equations. Both these programs do
it in one-two clicks.

In the same time Mathematica requires to (1) mark the corresponding cell,
(2) click Menu/Cell/CellTags/Add Remove Cell Tag (3) type the tag, (4) close
the "Add Remove Cell Tag" dialog (5) when in the text go to
Menu/Insert/Automatic Numbering (6) in the dialog "Create Automatic
Numbering Object" choose the desired cell tag, (7) in another its window
choose the right type of object, say, "EquationNumbered" then (8) click OK.

Did you count the number of clicks? It is not 8 it is 15.

But that is not all, since at the very last step, in the dialog "Create
Automatic Numbering Object", in its window "Counter" you need to choose a
right item out of 71 available! And you need to each time scroll through it.

Now imagine a normal paper with about 10 to 15 numbered formulas each is
referenced between 0 and 5 times, on average 3 times each, about 10 Figures,
each referenced at least once and about 30 references, each cited at least
once in the text. Overall you reference about 70 times per paper, and each
time you go through this whole procedure. And all these 70 times you scroll
through those 71 items! I think I really underestimated the problem, when
calling it simply "a headache" above.

Why not to improve this feature? Why not at least to make it easy to
customise the list of the "Create Automatic Numbering Object"/"Counter"
dialog, to enable us to choose those items that we need and not to show
those we do not?

These features I would like to see improved. Just before I finish, I would
like to say, that already as it is Mathematica is the greatest thing, and I
am grateful for it to Mr. Stephen Wolfram and his colleagues.

Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,