MathGroup Archive 2013

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Overriding the single quote (')

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130805] Overriding the single quote (')
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 04:34:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-outx@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsendx@smc.vnet.net

The Verilog "programming" language provide a compact way to describe and work with digital circuits.  The language features a nifty syntax for representing bits.  For example 3'b101 is the 3 bit unsigned binary number 101.  3'd5 is the same binary number but represented as the decimal 5.

I wanted to set up an expression in Mathematica such as f[3'b101] rather than the more verbose f["3'b101"].

I thought I could simply set f to hold all its arguments using SetAttributes[f,HoldAll].  But FullForm[f[3'b101]] results in f[Times[Derivative[1][2], b101]].

I tried to "control the evaluation" using $PreRead and $Pre.  I observed that  Mathematica replaces the single-quote with Derivative sometime between $PreRead and $Pre.  The closest I got to the solution is that I've managed to assign $PreRead a purefunction that will convert f[3'b101] to f["3'b101"].  (With 3'b101 as a string, Mathematica will not convert to Derivative.) But then, how do I set $Post to convert f["3'b101"] to f[3'b101]?

Does anyone know how to set Mathematica to avoid replacing single-quote with a Derivative under special circumstances?

Thanks,
Lawrence

• Prev by Date: Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • Next by Date: Re: How do you control evaluation when using apply?
  • Previous by thread: Re: How do you control evaluation when using apply?
  • Next by thread: Re: Overriding the single quote (')