Re: expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130893] Re: expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 06:22:16 -0400 (EDT)

I can only comment about my experience as well, but I beg to differ.

I believe my Mathematica-intensive sophomore course for materials
scientists has resulted in Mathematica as being the tool of choice for
the remainder of a student's undergraduate education---and know of many
cases where students continue to use Mathematica as a tool for graduate
research and private sector careers.

I've been teaching this course for about 12 years and have won MIT's
institute-wide teaching award and the school of engineering teaching
award; both awards derive primarily from the results of this course.

I only have student accounts and letters, and off-hand comments from
other faculty about the benefits of my course; these are uniformly
positive but the sample is probably biased. I am hoping to get an
objective critical assessment of the educational benefits of this
course---resources to get assessment are rare.

Helen Read and Murray Eisenberg, I believe, also teach  successful
Mathematica-Intensive courses; they may have obtained objective
assessment.

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT