Map

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130902] Map
  • From: Jon Morris <djpmorris at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 06:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

I'm new to Mathematica and I've been given some code to help me analyse some data. I'm trying to understand what the Map function does, specifically what the {2,2} means?

   qbarlist = Map[(# - bragg) &, hkllist,{2, 2}];

hklist is a 3 column list, bragg is a three element vector.

When I try the same line with {2} or {1} I seem to get the same answer. The online explanation of this term does not make that much sense to me. I'd be very grateful if someone could explain the purpose of the last term of the Map syntax.

Thanks,
Jon