Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130944] Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 04:15:08 -0400 (EDT)

Well, to disappoint everyone I have to confess that here, at Warsaw
University, we are going to have a university wide course in
Mathematica, open to all students of mathematics, natural sciences,
economics and finance and even (oh horror!) computer science (in fact, I
am not in the process of trying to "sell" this course to my the students
in my analysis for computer science class). We have actually received a
grant, quite substantial by Polish standards, to implement such a
course, and, of course, since everyone likes extra money, this has meant
that there has been no opposition or grumbling about it from any "old
fogies" (except perhaps one guy who complained that Mathematica was not
open source but we quickly stifled him)...

Of course, all of this is at this time only in its infancy. About a year
from now I should be able to say something about the success or failure
of this project. At this time the thing that worries me the most is the
amount of work I foresee in trying to realise all we have promised in
the proposal.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Great, Andrzej!

Best, Alexei