Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

I think this course will be successful only if the majority of the
students already learned Mathematica in high school.  So to make it
successful, about five more enthusiastic assistant lecturer should start
Saturday classes in those high schools right away, which feed into
Warsaw University.

J=E1nos

On May 29, 2013, at 3:58 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Mathematica more congenial to their way of thinking than the traditional
> somewhat "Bourbakist"  approaches which still prevail among
> mathematicians. Another reason why computer science students are natural
> audience of Mathematica based mathematics courses is that none of them
> suffer from "computer allergy" that is still quite common among older
> mathematicians and is sometimes found among younger ones, and that, of
> course, they find programming very easy, which is not necessarily true
> of all mathematics students. In fact, I have noticed that computer
> science students, who often are already familiar with quite many
> different languages (they often start programming long before entering
> university) find programming in Mathematica intriguing and fun and
> quickly learn to do (for me) quite amazing things.
>
> Of course, another important thing was making sure that students can
> actually get credit for doing work in Mathematica. The fact that they
> also enjoy it helps, but students are human and like other humans are
> not likely to do much serious work for nothing.
>
> Well, there is plenty more I could still say on this topic, but I have
> to get back to other things. So I just wanted to make a final comment on
> one other matter. It's nothing new, I have written this before and it is
> something that I differ about with some of the persons who have posted
> in this thread. Briefly, I am not an enthusiast of using Mathematica for
> "simple" symbolic manipulation. I am sure that may view of this is the
> same as that of the great majority of mathematicians and that the reason
> for this is not "conservatism". Generally we believe that in mathematics
> computers should be used to do things that are too hard or too time
> consuming for humans and human beings should do the things that humans
> find easy. The reasons for this are practical (this is the only way to
> really remain "in control" of your work - which is essential to avoid
> producing nonsense) and educational (doing symbolic and even numerical
> computations by hand is an essential activity that is needed to acquire
> understanding of concepts).
> Of course I do not object to Mathematica having capabilities I do not
> need or intend to use or teach. If other people find them useful, they
> could be a selling point for Mathematica and help to pay for the
> development of more features that I want (of course, as long as the
> issue of excessive complexity of interface is kept under control).
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski
>

> On 27 May 2013, at 10:24, Ingolf Dahl <ingolf.dahl at telia.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrzej,
>> I think this really sounds interesting, and hope to hear more about your
>> experiences later here. Of course there are questions and problems with it,
>> all new projects are "impossible" in one or another way. The really
>> interesting thing is to know if these impossibilities can be handled in some

At
>> this time the thing that
>>> worries me the most is the amount of work I foresee in trying to =
realise
>> all we have promised
>>> in the proposal.
>>>
>>> Andrzej Kozlowski