Re: unser-interface problems using Mathematica as a calculator

On 11/11/13 at 12:05 AM, alan.isaac at gmail.com (Alan) wrote:

>The example below illustrates why Mathematica's display rules for
>approximate numbers are very confusing for students. Should this be
>considered a user-interface bug? If not, why not? In any case, can
>the default display be changed to something more familiar from
>spreadsheets and other computing languages? Thanks, Alan Isaac

>In[217]:= tv = TimeValue[1, 0.04, 3] tv == 1.124864 tv == 1.12=
486

>Out[217]= 1.12486

>Out[218]= True

>Out[219]= False

I don't see how this can be considered a bug since this is
working exactly as documented. You can set the number of digits
to what ever suits your fancy.

Go to preferences and click on the Appearance tab. Then enter
the number of digits to be displayed.