Re: Mathematica and MacOSX 10.9 Mavericks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131924] Re: Mathematica and MacOSX 10.9 Mavericks
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:20:52 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/29/13 at 2:51 AM, ccarter at MIT.EDU (W Craig Carter) wrote:

>Related to this topic, does anyone know if Cuda will be supported on
>the newest macbook graphics card?

Assuming by "macbook" you truly mean a MacBook and not a MacBook
Pro, the answer should be no. But if you mean the top of the
line 15 inch MacBook Pro the answer would be yes.

CUDA is a NVIDIA technology and is (I believe) only supported on
machines using a NVIDIA GPU. Per Apple's description, only the
top end 15 inch MacBook Pro currently ships with a NVIDIA GPU.

I currently use a 15 inch MacBook Pro (mid 2012 model) which has
a NVIDIA GPU installed and CUDA is supported. But my previous
MacBook Pro had a Radeon GPU and CUDA was not supported. And by
supported versus not supported, I mean CUDAQ[] returns True on
my current machine and False on my previous machine after