Re: Wrong result of Integrate with assumptions -- my fault?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131591] Re: Wrong result of Integrate with assumptions -- my fault?
  • From: Youngjoo Chung <ychung12 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:06:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Actually, none of the assumptions are necessary. Integrate returns the result in the form ConditionalExpresssion[...] in case certain conditions must be met for the result to be valid. Otherwise, it is not necessary to add the Assumptions option.

Nevertheless, res2 is not always correct as you mentioned. After some arithmetic, I observed that Re[res2] is always correct but Im[res2] is correct only when a > 0 and b > 0 regardless of w assuming Abs[a] < Infinity and Abs[b] < Infinity.

Sincerely,
Youngjoo Chung