Re: checking the sign of all terms in a long expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132568] Re: checking the sign of all terms in a long expression
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 05:16:39 -0400 (EDT)

Are the symbols a, b, etc., just symbolic, as you seem to indicate, or might they be actual numeric values, too?

If indeed the symbols a, b, etc. are just symbols and NOT numbers, then the following should help -- but note that Mathematica will automatically rearrange the terms of toCheck into its usual canonical form.

         toCheck = a + a b + a b c + a c - b + bc + d - e f
    (* a - b + a b + bc + a c + a b c + d - e f *)

         Flatten@Position[List@@toCheck, Times[-1,__]]

If you insist on identifying the "negative" terms by their positions in the original expression, before it is evaluated, then you may want to treat it as a string, and the treatment will be trickier.

Murray Eisenberg                                murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts
710 North Pleasant Street