Re: OnError [Thread"::"tdlen"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132626] Re: OnError [Thread"::"tdlen"]
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

For your function define one or more messages for bad arguments. For
example,

ClearAll[factorial]

factorial::niarg = "The argument `1` cannot be a negative integer.";

Define your function to issue a message and return unevaluated upon an
error :

factorial[n_]/;If[

TrueQ[!NumericQ[n]||!(Element[n,Integers]&&n<0)],

True, Message[factorial::niarg,n]; False] :=

n!

BesselI[0,factorial[-1]]

factorial::niarg: The argument -1 cannot be a negative integer.

BesselI[0,factorial[-1]]

Use Check to do something other than return unevaluated (e.g., Abort) when
message is generated

Check[BesselI[0,factorial[-1]],Abort[]]

factorial::niarg: The argument -1 cannot be a negative integer.

$Aborted

PDF[NormalDistribution[m,0],x]

NormalDistribution::posprm: Parameter 0 at position 2 in
NormalDistribution[m,0] is expected to be positive. >>

PDF[NormalDistribution[m,0],x]

Check[PDF[NormalDistribution[m,0],x],Abort[]]

NormalDistribution::posprm: Parameter 0 at position 2 in
NormalDistribution[m,0] is expected to be positive. >>

$Aborted

Bob Hanlon

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 5:09 AM, EMartin <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>wro=
te: