Faster than Fold in M9?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132290] Faster than Fold in M9?
  • From: qbdoud at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 00:54:36 -0500 (EST)

I have a largish data set in a grid and want to evaluate a lengthy list of operations or functions against computer selected data rows.

Reckon[rows_, operations_] := Module[{tempdata = globaldatamatrix[[#]] & /@ rows},
  ToExpression[
    StringJoin[
      ToString[tempdata[[#]] ] <> ToString[operations[[#]] ] & /@
       Range[1, numberofoperationsisabouteight]]
       <> "1.0"(*multiple by one point zero to keep symbolic computation in check, the <> symbols join strings*)]
   ];

This works, but is a tad slow- the messy string operations unaccountably seem faster than the following Fold implementation.

Fold[Consider[#1, #2] &, 0, onerowsandoperationscombo]

Each fold generates a nested function that in would look something like
Consider[row_and_function1, Consider[row_and_function2, Consider[row_and_function3, firstrow] ] ]
if translated for brevity and readability.

Is there a better way to do this kind of thing?   I want to Compile but understand I can't work with lists.

Helpful ideas?