hold question

Dear Group:

Manipulating and importing/exporting dates is always a pain in the neck, in any of the languages I am aware of.
Mathematica has functions to work around many of these issues, and I was actually able to complete the task
I was involved in, but even then there is an issue I obviously do not understand.

Say I have this date in an Excel sheet: 01/08/2007. I import in into Mathematica.  I want to prevent it from becoming an arithmetical expression, so
I sorround it by Unevaluated, HoldAll, and other hold-like devices, but I do not obtain the desired result. The date becomes a division.
For example, the output of HoldComplete[2+2] is  HoldComplete[2+2] , but instead the output of HoldComplete[ 01/08/2007]
is HoldComplete[1/(8x 2007)].

What I am overlooking?
(Mathematica 9.0)