Drag-and-drop pdf files

Normally I can drag-and-drop a pdf file on a mathematical notebook and it will be displayed. But sometimes I get a $Failed with not further explanation. These failed pdf's are displayed correctly in every other other app that can read pdf (preview, texshop, safari). Any ideas on how I should go about debugging this situation?

Mathematica 9.0.1, Mac OS 10.9.1

Thanks