Re: Unnecessary parentheses around TagBox for MakeBoxes?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg132236] Re: Unnecessary parentheses around TagBox for MakeBoxes?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 03:47:35 -0500 (EST)

You can use the SyntaxForm option of TagBox to resolve this.  A common pattern that you'll find with many template styles in Core.nb for situations very much like this (i.e., where the TagBox should simply act as a standalone thing and not as a thing with a given precedence) is using a value of SyntaxForm->=94symbol=94.

MakeBoxes[test, form_] :=
 TagBox[RowBox[{"test", "END"}], "myBox", SyntaxForm -> "symbol=94]

While the meme of using SyntaxForm->=94symbol=94 isn't documented, SyntaxForm is otherwise documented and I encourage you to look it up.

John Fultz
jfultz at
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.