Re: How to replace some variables and how to solve a differential

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132375] Re: How to replace some variables and how to solve a differential
  • From: Narasimham <mathma18 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:05:52 -0500 (EST)

> Dear all,
>
> I am really new to Mathematica.
>
> I have two questions, please.
>
> 1. How to replace a variable in a function?
>
> I have defined:
>
> f[r_] := Log[((2*\[Lambda])/(\[Kappa]*r*
>         Cos[\[Lambda]*Log[(r/RM)]]))^2]

Replace r with Exp[u]/Kappa  and then it is now f[u_]

The above does not give zero for constant numerical values assumed for RM and lambda, so may not be correct. The solution is in terms of Log and Tanh functions using DSolve.

> RM, lambda >0
>
> I want to replace r with u given  by
>
> u=log[Kappa*r]
>
> I did it by hand but whant to check my result.
>

> 2. How to check or solve the differential equation:

It is better to use NDSolve at first numerically check for zero right hand side of equation, then DSolve analytically next.