Re: can we use ListVectorPlot to plot arrows? (tail at point, head

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132380] Re: can we use ListVectorPlot to plot arrows? (tail at point, head
  • From: Roland Franzius <roland.franzius at uos.de>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:26:34 -0500 (EST)

Am 20.02.2014 09:26, schrieb Alan:
> Is there an option that will force ListVectorPlot to plot
> arrows from the points to the displacement? (By default,
> the point is in the middle of the arrow, not at its tail.)
> Using VectorPoints -> All, of course.

You can use VectorPlot as a primitive drawing tool and pimp the graphics
by replacing arrows and other elements by more colorful primitive graphics

the following rule replaces all arrows in a Graphics[] generated by
VectorPlot by a blue arrow and a red disc of radius 0.1 at the middle of
head and tail.

redpointarrow=
{ Arrow[{{x_, y_}, {u_, v_}}] :>
   {Blue, Arrow[{{x, y}, {u, v}}], Red,
     Disk[{(x + u)/2, (y + v)/2}, 0.1]}}

The option  StreamPoints adds some integrated stream lines from the the
gradient of the vector field.

field[x_,x_]:=Evaluate[Grad[(x^2 + y) Exp[(-x y)/(x^2 + y^2)], {x, y}]]

ps = VectorPlot[field[x,y]], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
    VectorPoints -> 7,
    VectorStyle -> {"DotArrow"},
    StreamPoints -> 12] /.  redpointarrow;

ps