What's in an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132405] What's in an expression?
  • From: sam.takoy at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 04:38:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I'm building a little Mathematica system that checks answers entered by students. Suppose the question is "what is Sin'[x]?" ad the student responds: Sin'[x] which is "correct", but not the intended answer (Cos[x]). I'm wondering if there is a general way to approach this sort of problem. In particular, is there a way to find out whether a given expression includes certain elements (like Derivative)?

Thank you in advance,

Sam