Chained-functional notation examples?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132692] Chained-functional notation examples?
  • From: Unknown <dog at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 02:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

I came to 'Mathematica' via Xahlee's criticism of the ad-hoc nature of
unix-piping [functional notation].  He claims [& I believe him] that Mathematica has a better, more consistent notation.  But the facility of PRE, IN & POST-fix alternatives, seems bad.  You want ONE way of acieving the goal. More rules just increases mental load.

A major benefit of functional [unix-piping] programming style, is that you
don't need to remember the-full-journey: you just need to remember the previous stage's output. Nor do you need to remember several names: the previous output is just "it".  A superficial read through a recent article[s] here, about <collecting data from several servers, and agregating it, and sending the result to a master> seemed very interesting, and matches my ideas of using functional programming.  But I can't afford to invest in ANOTHER notation/syntax, without good prospect of productivety increase.

Just as a test, how would Mathematica handle the following [or part of]
little task:

search all files in Dir=tree D |
 which are less than N days-old |
 and which contain string S1 |
 and which contain string S2 .

Actually, this seems not a good example, since it's biased towards the *nix
file system's format/syntax.

Try:
Search in table of ListOfOpenFiles for lineS with path-P [field] |
 which have same tty-field as line with path-P2 & program-M [field]

This sounds like a data-base problem?

Or is there a nice list of 'such' Mathematica examples?

 Thanks,

== John Grant.