Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum > General > > "Solving for when a summation reaches a value."

Post Reply:
Name:
Email Address:

Please send email when my message is replied to.

Url (optional):
Subject:
Attachment (optional):
Please answer this:2+6 =

Original Message (ID '549646') By Bill Simpson:
New users see the word Solve and assume it has far more power than it actually does and will solve anything and everything. Solve can do very well with linear problems, pretty good with low degree polynomial problems and horribly or not at all with rational functions, trig functions, radicals and especially "special" functions. "So, I want to know when the LCM of (1,2,3,...,i) reaches 10,000,000,000 digits" Let's see if we can quickly get an estimate of how large your i needs to be. In[1]:= ListPlot[Table[Log[LCM @@ Range[i]], {i, 10000}]] Out[1]= ...NiceAlmostStraightLinePlotSnipped... After seeing that I might even bet there is a theorem out there in analytic number theory that says something like: The LCM of the first n positive integers is less than or equal to E^n+fudgefactor. Hummm. Mathworld has some information on this http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeastCommonMultiple.html And it says the prime number theorem implies exactly what I stated in the previous paragraph. Google for theorem least common multiple first n integers turns up lots of promising results. Now my graph isn't giving you an exact integer answer to your question, but does it give you a place to start?