Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
Student Support Forum: 'Fermat square factorsiation' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Fermat square factorsiation"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
06/18/06 3:57pm

I would very much appreciate some help with this problem.

I am looking at defactoring p*p with the difference of squares method. Essentially when the integer values for X^2 - x^2 = pp are found one can deduce from the values of x and X, p and p with a few simple calculations.

The problem which I have difficulties with is getting the formula to work in Mathematica. Essentially I am looking for this kind of format.

Mod[X^2 + 46X + 48, x^2]

The basic problem here is that if the list lenghts of X and x values are the same Mathematica divides the X=1 result by x=1 result.

I would like the whole of the range of x into X =1, then the whole range of x into X=2 and so forth.

Now I am actually working with large numbers and I also need a filter ideally just to return the integers and the values of X and x for those values.

I am sorry it is such a lot to ask but I have been through most of the Mathematica book trying to answer this one and do not feel close the answer.

I guess some variety of looping through getting x one value higher each time may be the answer??? I have not done programming before so am in deep water!

If you are interested this is an extension of Fermat and further details can be found here.

Thanks very much in advance.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Fermat square factorsiation')
Author Date Posted
Fermat square factorsiation Piers 06/18/06 3:57pm
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Gabriel 06/21/06 03:52am
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Britney 06/28/06 3:46pm
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Gabriel 06/30/06 09:16am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic