Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Fermat square factorsiation' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Fermat square factorsiation"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Piers
06/18/06 3:57pm

Hi

I would very much appreciate some help with this problem.

I am looking at defactoring p*p with the difference of squares method. Essentially when the integer values for X^2 - x^2 = pp are found one can deduce from the values of x and X, p and p with a few simple calculations.

The problem which I have difficulties with is getting the formula to work in Mathematica. Essentially I am looking for this kind of format.

Mod[X^2 + 46X + 48, x^2]

The basic problem here is that if the list lenghts of X and x values are the same Mathematica divides the X=1 result by x=1 result.

I would like the whole of the range of x into X =1, then the whole range of x into X=2 and so forth.

Now I am actually working with large numbers and I also need a filter ideally just to return the integers and the values of X and x for those values.

I am sorry it is such a lot to ask but I have been through most of the Mathematica book trying to answer this one and do not feel close the answer.

I guess some variety of looping through getting x one value higher each time may be the answer??? I have not done programming before so am in deep water!

If you are interested this is an extension of Fermat and further details can be found here.

http://www.ams.org/mcom/1999-68-228/S0025-5718-99-01133-3/S0025-5718-99-01133-3.pdf

Thanks very much in advance.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Fermat square factorsiation')
Author Date Posted
Fermat square factorsiation Piers 06/18/06 3:57pm
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Gabriel 06/21/06 03:52am
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Britney 06/28/06 3:46pm
Re: Fermat square factorsiation Gabriel 06/30/06 09:16am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic