Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: '<< Version5`Graphics` & ContourPlot3D' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "<< Version5`Graphics` & ContourPlot3D"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Gustav
09/18/07 01:24am

I've just started transferring some of my old notebooks from Mathematica 5.2 to the new Mathematica 6.0.

As you probably already know, plots in Mathematica 6 are much fancier - anti-aliased, and in the case of 3D plots, they can also be rotated.

However, graphics also take MUCH, MUCH longer in Mathematica 6 compared to the previous versions. This is bad, especially if you want to try and optimize a graphic by trial and error. When in the past you could do one iteration (enter to output done) in 10 seconds, it now may take 6 minutes.

A partial solution is to instruct Mathematica 6 to use the old graphic front end, without anti-alias etc. You do this by entering:

<< Version5`Graphics`

Now most graphics work fast again. You can verify this especially with ContourPlot[].

However, I can't get ContourPlot3D to work with << Version5`Graphics`. For example, say I want to display a sphere:

ContourPlot3D[x^2 + y^2 + z^2, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1},
Contours -> {1}]

This works o.k. with v.6 graphics, but I can't get any output in conjunction with v.5 graphics. I need the speed of v.5 graphics for rough editing and troubleshooting, so please let me know how to do this properly. I'm thinking something like this should work:

<< Version5`Graphics`
<< Graphics`ContourPlot3D`
ContourPlot3D[x^2 + y^2 + z^2, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1},
Contours -> {1}]

Once again, by itself the ContourPlot3D line works in Mathematica 6, but I can't get it to display anything after loading << Version5`Graphics`, which is absolutely necessary for speedy graphics. Note that I'm using the sphere only as an example, my real problem involves superposition of ca. 30 dipoles in 3D space. The contour plot for that would take ca. 20 seconds in v5, but almost 5 minutes in v6.

I need the speed back, at least for troubleshooting! For the final output, I wouldn't mind the wait.

Thanks!

P.S. Try to run the attached Mathematica 5.2 notebook (saved in plain text) in Mathematica 6 in less than a minute - it is not possible. It is, however, easily possible in Mathematica 5.

Attachment: 3D Multipole Divergence 7.txt, URL: ,

Subject (listing for '<< Version5`Graphics` & ContourPlot3D')
Author Date Posted
<< Version5`Graphics` & ContourPlot3D Gustav 09/18/07 01:24am
Re: << Version5`Graphics` & ContourPlot3D yehuda ben-s... 09/18/07 3:13pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic