Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Solving a simple system of differential equations' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Solving a simple system of differential equations"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Carlo
10/21/08 12:14pm

Hi everbody, I'm a Physics Italian Student and I'm getting started to use Mathematica 5.1.

I should solve a very simple problem, i.e. the motion of a charged particle in an electro-magnetic field...the particle moves along the x axis, the electric field E is along the y axis and the magnetic one B is along the z axis, so the motion of the particle is determined by this system (I guess it's obvious, however x' and x'' indicate the first and second time derivative)

m x'' = qB y'
m y'' = -qE - qB x'

with the initial conditions

x(t=0)=0
x'(t=0)=Vo
y(t=0)=Yo
y'(t=0)=0

I managed to solve the system (I attached my script), but I don't know how to impose the initial conditions, so I got some strange syntax errors...could somebody please explain me right syntax to use?
I hope this is the righ place to make this answer...otherwise, my apologies (and sorry for the bad English!)!

Attachment: campo_tot2.nb, URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Solving a simple system of differential equations')
Author Date Posted
Solving a simple system of differential equations Carlo 10/21/08 12:14pm
Re: Solving a simple system of differential equ... Kaveh 10/21/08 7:43pm
Re: Re: Solving a simple system of differential... Carlo 10/23/08 06:19am
Re: Solving a simple system of differential equ... yehuda ben-s... 10/22/08 1:25pm
Re: Solving a simple system of differential equ... Kaveh 10/24/08 06:25am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic