Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Series expansion of a function of several varia...' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Series expansion of a function of several varia..."

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Steve
08/27/09 08:01am

Hi,
I am trying to perform a series expansion of a function of 6 variables, and I would like to do this to 4th order.

I know the form of the Series[] command, and I can easily expand the equation to find terms containing each of the variables to the required order.

My problem is that some of these terms are of the form K.x^4.y^4, which is correct in that it only contains x and y to the fourth order, but is not what I would like in that I tend to think of this term as being of 8th order.

Is there any way of limiting the output of Series, or perhaps writing a rule to operate on its output, to limit the *total* power of each term to 4th order?

Note that a simple rule adding each of the powers in the FullForm will not work as I have some constants that also appear to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, power (e.g. K^2.x^2.y^2 is allowed).

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Series expansion of a function of several varia...')
Author Date Posted
Series expansion of a function of several varia... Steve 08/27/09 08:01am
Re: Series expansion of a function of several v... yehuda ben-s... 08/30/09 07:16am
Re: Series expansion of a function of several v... Peter Pein 08/30/09 3:44pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic