Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: '2-parameter surface colouring' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "2-parameter surface colouring"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Toen
09/28/10 11:01am

Hi all,

I want to colour a surface according to two parameters in a visually clear style. My actual application is rather more complex, but is equivalent to asking:

On a Plot3D surface, what is a good choice of X for ColorFunction->X? I.e. can you improve upon

Plot3D[0,{x,0,1},{y,0,1},ColorFunction->Function[{x,y,z},RGBColor[x,y,1-x]],Mesh->None]

for someone (me) with normal (non-colourblind) vision?

The criteria for "good" is that there are no large contiguous zones in the parameter space that look visually similar: if either or both of the parameters are changing on the surface, I want to be able to visually track that change. Aesthetic considerations come second, but are valued.

Parameter input values are normalised to the interval [0,1] and while most of the data points occur near {0.5,0.5} the more scientifically interesting trends are closer to the 'corner' and 'edge' cases (as well as both diagonals).

For the one-parameter cases some ColorData entries perform admirably, so in effect I am asking for suggestions to build my own 2-parameter ColorData entry.

I have also tried setting different points in the parameter space to certain colours and creating an Interpolation between them (linearly in the coordinates of RGBColor) but still end up with large bland-looking patches between the specified points.

Your suggestions are eagerly awaited...

Thanks in advance,
toen

URL: ,

Subject (listing for '2-parameter surface colouring')
Author Date Posted
2-parameter surface colouring Toen 09/28/10 11:01am
Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Bill 09/29/10 2:47pm
Re: Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Toen 10/02/10 07:24am
Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Bill 10/03/10 03:46am
Re: Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Toen 10/04/10 10:19am
Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Bill 10/03/10 5:42pm
Re: Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Toen 10/04/10 2:41pm
Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Bill 10/04/10 10:43pm
Re: Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Toen 10/05/10 5:29pm
Re: Re: Re: 2-parameter surface colouring Bill 10/06/10 5:54pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic