Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Plot solution to equation' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Plot solution to equation"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
David
11/27/10 10:43am

I'm trying to do something which I'm sure has a very simple solution but for some reason I just can't make it work.

I have a function in 3 variables, like
f[x,y,z]=expression in terms of x,y,z. I want to plot the solution to f[x,y,z]==0 in the {y,z} plane for a given value of x.

I'm trying to leave out extraneous detail, but some points worth mentioning are (1) I'm going to need to do this for a range of values of x, using Manipulate. (2) f[x,y,z]==0 isn't easily reducible to an equation with z on the LHS and everything else on the right, (3) in case you're curious, f[x,y,z]==0 describes one nullcline for a set of differential equations, so basically by fixing the value of x I am looking at one slice of the nullcline in 2-D, and (4) I actually have 3 such nullclines, and my goal is to find EPs, i.e. points where they all intersect. (Again, Solve doesn't work because the equations aren't algebraically reducible. FindRoot works, but I need a good starting guess, and I want to use the above method to make sure I haven't missed anything.)

Thanks in advance!

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Plot solution to equation')
Author Date Posted
Plot solution to equation David 11/27/10 10:43am
Re: Plot solution to equation Christopher ... 12/05/10 03:13am
Re: Re: Plot solution to equation David 12/11/10 09:44am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic