Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Is it possible to model heating due to sunlight...' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Is it possible to model heating due to sunlight..."

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
David Neill
11/03/11 6:26pm

I havenīt used mathematica yet but I would like to use it for a particular calculation. A friend of mine is designing a solar water heater he hopes to sell. He asked me if there was any way of calculating a rough estimate of how efficient the end product would be before building any prototypes. I told him I would look it up because I remembered hearing about Mathematica and how it had some very powerful calculating/modeling software.
He wants to try with different materials for the water heater encasing. I would like to know if Mathematica could take a 3D model of the prototype, then specify the material and thickness of the encasing, and then calculate how much heat would propagate into the device at different light levels and angles of incedence (i.e. at different time of day).
Again, I've never used Mathematica or the likes so I donīt know if this possible, but if it is my friend would consider getting it to model this and future prototypes. Can this be done, in MAthematica or another program?

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Is it possible to model heating due to sunlight...')
Author Date Posted
Is it possible to model heating due to sunlight... David Neill 11/03/11 6:26pm
Re: Is it possible to model heating due to sunl... qm2008q 11/24/11 9:05pm
Re: Re: Is it possible to model heating due to ... David Neill 12/12/11 5:00pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic