Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Strange character at end of cell' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Strange character at end of cell"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Deniz
02/02/12 11:37am

Hello,

several times I have experienced the following problem: When I type in an expression to define a variable and later want to use that variable again I get several error messages saying that the variable does not contain data of the correct type, e.g. I define a list and when I later use it in a function that requires a list as an argument, Mathematica says that it's *not* a list.

After some experimentation I figured out that I had typed in everything correctly. I made the interesting discovery that at the end of the line of the definition of the critical variables, a hidden, white space character appeared. It seems to make a definition invalid. It is also impossible to remove it from the end of the line: When I delete it and hit [Shift]-[Enter], it reappears.

At this point I cannot repoduce the entire situation, but I have attached a Mathematica Notebook which consists of only one single cell, containing this "strange character".

I use Mathematica 8 on a MacBook Pro with OS X Lion.

Deniz

Attachment: StrangeChar.nb, URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Strange character at end of cell')
Author Date Posted
Strange character at end of cell Deniz 02/02/12 11:37am
Re: Strange character at end of cell Forum Modera... 02/02/12 12:18pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic