Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Max Likelihood -> sum of an array?' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Max Likelihood -> sum of an array?"

< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Bill Simpson
02/29/12 2:08pm

From your error message I believe your guess is correct that your problem lies in your use of Array.

Mathematica and Array[] are very concrete. They tend not to suppose some array exists with unknown size, Array[y,T] with T having no specific positive integer value results in an error. If you did that alone with no trailing semicolon it would show you that. Array[y,3] is more concrete, you want an array of 3 elements and the result is {y[1], y[2], y[3]}. But if you do not assign that to some variable then that result is calculated and instantly discarded. To be fair, the Mathematica Help Browser shows nothing about you needing to assign that value to something for later use and that is probably bad.

But I think there are more problems than this and I haven't taken the time to wade through the original paper to try to track down how much more you need to do. See if anything I've written here helps and then post again with more specific questions.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Max Likelihood -> sum of an array?')
Author Date Posted
Max Likelihood -> sum of an array? Charles Math... 02/28/12 1:16pm
Re: Max Likelihood -> sum of an array? Bill Simpson 02/29/12 2:08pm
Re: Re: Max Likelihood -> sum of an array? Charles 03/01/12 06:52am
Re: Re: Re: Max Likelihood -> sum of an array? Bill Simpson 03/01/12 11:02pm
< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic