Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Solving Apollonius' Problem' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Solving Apollonius' Problem"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Joe
05/01/12 8:15pm

My problem is essentially that I do not understand Mathematica.

Currently, I'm trying to find a circle tangent to two circles and a line. I found the PDF linked to this post which gave me a big hand with the formulas involved, but actually solving them is a bit of a pain. I started crunching by hand, but when the lines started exceeding the page width, I turned to Wolfram|Alpha... which told me that my inputs were too long, so I downloaded the Mathematica trial, which I can't figure out.

I'll take some general pointers on this; I don't need a fully formed solution (I think). My attempts at using Solve and Reduce and Plot are giving me errors like "Tensors have incompatible shapes", "... is not a quantified system of equations and inequalities", and "... is not a valid variable". I don't even know what a tensor *is*, so I'm obviously missing something here.

If it helps to describe things, the current goal is to find a circle tangent to:
y=x
x^2+y^2=1
(x-(sqrt(2)-1))^2 + (y-(sqrt(2)-1)^2=(sqrt(2)-1)^2

URL: http://www.arcenciel.co.uk/geometry/CircleL2C.pdf,

Subject (listing for 'Solving Apollonius' Problem')
Author Date Posted
Solving Apollonius' Problem Joe 05/01/12 8:15pm
Re: Solving Apollonius' Problem Forum Modera... 05/02/12 11:19am
Re: Solving Apollonius' Problem jf 05/02/12 12:21pm
Re: Re: Solving Apollonius' Problem Joe 05/02/12 1:22pm
Re: Re: Re: Solving Apollonius' Problem Bill Simpson 05/02/12 6:41pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic