Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Getting data into a usable format' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Getting data into a usable format"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Richard Hallquist
07/11/00 2:11pm

For the past day, I've been trying to figure out a way to take some data gathered physically and get it into a usable format in Mathematica, and I just can't seem to make any headway. The files which I'm trying to move the data from start with about 47 short lines of text, each line beginning with a ''%'' (this text is just a list of instrument settings, stuff like that), and then there are 1024 data points in the form of numbers that look like +1.89296E-004, each on a separate line. I can get them into a file with ReadList[''file'', Word], but then there is the issue of the text up front which I can't figure out how to get rid of. I've tried several things listed in the Mathematica book without any success. It doesn't seem like this should be that hard of a problem, but every time I think I've got a solution, Mathematica begs to differ. The other issue is I don't want to just cut and paste together a list by hand because the next step in the data processing is I'm going to (or at least try to) automate this file reading so that I can similar data off 180 files in succession and get it all in an array. I'm just about to scrap the whole attempt and go with MatLab, which some of the people I'm working with know how to use to do this sort of thing. Any suggestions?

Richard Hallquist

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Getting data into a usable format')
Author Date Posted
Getting data into a usable format Richard Hall... 07/11/00 2:11pm
Re: Getting data into a usable format Forum Modera... 07/12/00 10:17am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic