Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Random sampling of a list' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Random sampling of a list"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Michelle
08/19/00 08:25am

Hello,

I have been working on a project for quite some time now and this one piece is holding me back. I hope someone can help!
How can I generate a random sample of a list? Bt this I mean, given a list of numbers my={12,19,25,36,58,63,98,101} how can I ask for a random sample of lenght two?

Also, is it possible to generate a random sample from a list af characters? For example, list={a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j} If so, How?
Lastly, given a list of variables that are set equal to graphics images, is it possible to generate a random sample? For example, k=Import[''d:/deck/kings.jpg''],j=Import[''d:/deck/jacks.jpg''],q=Import[:d:/deck/queens.jpg''], ect...
Given the list cards={k,j,q,a,...} How can I generate a random sample length two ( or ''deal'' two random cards?)

I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction. I have been trying to figure this out on my own for days!

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Random sampling of a list')
Author Date Posted
Random sampling of a list Michelle 08/19/00 08:25am
Re: Random sampling of a list Aaron Honecker 08/21/00 09:40am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic