Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'How to force Mathematica download the Courier font to a Postscript printer?' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "How to force Mathematica download the Courier font to a Postscript printer?"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
John M. Linebarger
09/05/00 06:27am

OK, this is a weird one. I'm using Mathematica 3.0.1 for Linux, Student Version. It was all working fine under Slackware, then I upgraded to
Red Hat 6.2 to get a glibc-based system. All of a sudden, my notebooks stopped printing correctly--I wouldn't get the graphics characters in the Courier font, for example--they'd just be blank. Note that it was the graphics characters in the text, not the text in the graphics, that were hosed--I read the FAQ!

Anyhoo, by comparing the Postscript output from notebooks printed to files before the upgrade with Postscript generated after the upgrade, I think I found the problem. Before the upgrade, Mathematica would download the Courier font with the document. (In all cases I specified ''include Mathematica Fonts'' when printing.) In other words, the epilog in the Postscript file looks something like this:

%%DocumentNeededFonts: Times-Italic
%%+ Helvetica-Oblique
%%+ Helvetica-Bold
%%+ Helvetica
%%+ Times-Roman
%%DocumentSuppliedFonts: Math2Mono-Bold
%%+ Math1Mono-Bold
%%+ Math1Mono
%%+ Times-Italic-ISO
%%+ Courier-ISO
%%+ Math2Mono
%%+ Helvetica-ISO
%%+ Times-Roman-ISO
%%+ Math3-Bold
%%+ Helvetica-Oblique-ISO
%%+ Courier
%%+ Helvetica-Bold-ISO

However, the same notebook printed under RedHat has this as its epilog:

%%DocumentNeededFonts: Times-Italic
%%+ Helvetica-Oblique
%%+ Courier-Bold
%%+ Helvetica-Bold
%%+ Helvetica
%%+ Courier
%%+ Times-Roman
%%DocumentSuppliedFonts: Math2Mono-Bold
%%+ Math1Mono-Bold
%%+ Math1Mono
%%+ Times-Italic-ISO
%%+ Courier-ISO
%%+ Math2Mono
%%+ Helvetica-ISO
%%+ Times-Roman-ISO
%%+ Math3-Bold
%%+ Helvetica-Oblique-ISO
%%+ Courier-Bold-ISO
%%+ Helvetica-Bold-ISO

Note that Courier and Helvetica are now in the DocumentNeededFonts category; as such, they are not downloaded to the printer as part of the document.

Since this is the source of my problem (my saved Postscript output files from before the upgrade still print out fine) because of the custom Mathematica Courier font that has the graphics symbols, how do I force Mathematica to *always* download the Courier font to the printer?

Thanks for your patience. Enjoy!

John M. Linebarger
Lehigh University

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'How to force Mathematica download the Courier font to a Postscript printer?')
Author Date Posted
How to force Mathematica download the Courier f... John M. Line... 09/05/00 06:27am
Re: How to force Mathematica download the Couri... Forum Modera... 09/09/00 07:22am
Re: How to force Mathematica download the Couri... John M. Line... 09/19/00 8:40pm
Re: How to force Mathematica download the Couri... Forum Modera... 09/19/00 8:53pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic