Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Solving a system of 16 unknowns with 16 equations' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Solving a system of 16 unknowns with 16 equations"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Revathi
09/11/00 5:53pm

I have to solve for 16 unknowns with 16 equations, which should be easy to do. In fact, I did it easily by hand and on matlab, but I have to do it on Mathematica for a class and I'm having trouble doing it. Here's what I tried:
--First, I tried using the Solve command to solve for all 16 unknowns at the same time. But it gave me the null vector as the solution.
--Then, I tried to solve for a few unknowns at a time. I solved three equations for three unknowns: F2,x1, and x2. It worked for the first set of unknowns. But when I had to call those unknowns in the following equations, Mathematica told me that the variable did not exist.

How can I call a particular variable from a solution vector to use in a following equation? If the solutions vector says, {F2-->20, x1-->2, x2-->3}, then why can I not type in F2 in the next equation as a defined variable?

It would be much simpler if it was possible for me to just use Solve to find all 16 unknowns at the same time. Is that possible?

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Solving a system of 16 unknowns with 16 equations')
Author Date Posted
Solving a system of 16 unknowns with 16 equations Revathi 09/11/00 5:53pm
Re: Solving a system of 16 unknowns with 16 equ... Aaron Honecker 09/12/00 2:55pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic