Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates"

< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
John Leko
10/31/00 07:45am

>Hello. I just got this program. Seems complicated to me, but I'm sure it will pay off once I get the hang of it.

Hang in there. You will get it!

>I'm trying to command mathematica to plot a 3d surface area graph with x, y, and z coordinates for a project. I don't know the commands, and I'm still trying to learn how to use this program. Would somebody please help me and tell me how to do this. The graph has 26 points for each axis.

If you are plotting a three-dimensional function, e.g., f(x, y), then use the Plot3D command. If you have a list of points (z-values only!) then use the command ListPlot3D. If you have points of (x, y, z) form, them you will need to get an add-on package called ExtendGraphics from the MathSource library (it's free!). Here's the URL to the package http://www.mathsource.com/Content22/Enhancements/Graphics/3D/0208-976

The file also includes the instructions on how to install it.

>I'm also using it as a study aid for my precalculus class. Any advice or hints and tips to make learning mathematica easier (it's almost like programming:). Thanks. See ya.

You don't have to program to use Mathematica, but if you do learn its programming language, you'll be better off. I would recommend reading and following the instructions given in the ''Suggestions about Learning Mathematica'' (section 0.6.1 of the Mathematica book) in the Front Matter section. Alternately, you could pick up a book like Nancy Blachman's Mathematica: A practical approach. Most of all, try things out! :-)

Best of luck to you.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates')
Author Date Posted
Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coor... Mike E. 10/24/00 06:49am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... Forum Modera... 10/31/00 07:43am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... James Kellin... 11/08/00 7:28pm
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... John Leko 10/31/00 07:45am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... John Leko 10/31/00 07:47am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... Aaron Honecker 10/31/00 07:48am
< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic