Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates"

< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
John Leko
10/31/00 07:47am

>Hello. I just got this program. Seems complicated to me, but I'm sure it will pay off once I get the hang of it. I'm trying to command mathematica to plot a 3d surface area graph with x, y, and z coordinates for a project. I don't know the commands, and I'm still trying to learn how to use this program. Would somebody please help me and tell me how to do this. The graph has 26 points for each axis. I'm also using it as a study aid for my precalculus class. Any advice or hints and tips to make learning mathematica easier (it's almost like programming:). Thanks. See ya.

When you say ''with x, y, and z coordinates,'' I'm assuming that you mean that you have a list of points in three-space {x, y, z}, and not that you're simply using the Cartesian coordinate system. Based on this assumption, there are several ways to generate 3-D plots.

If you had a function with two independent variables (i.e., f(x, y)), then you could use Plot3D. You can easily find examples of this in the on-line help. For points, you have to take a different approach.

For coordinate pairs {x, y, z}, you need to load a Standard Package. In this case, the useful package is called Graphics`Graphics3D` (BTW, the ` is not on the '' key, but on the ~ key). ScatterPlot3D produces a scatter plot in three-space, and ListSurfacePlot3D creates three-space surface plots.

Check the Front Matter section ''Suggestions about Learning Mathematica'' for learning stratigies. There are also a number of useful books. Check you school's library.

Stick with it! :-)

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coordinates')
Author Date Posted
Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z coor... Mike E. 10/24/00 06:49am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... Forum Modera... 10/31/00 07:43am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... James Kellin... 11/08/00 7:28pm
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... John Leko 10/31/00 07:45am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... John Leko 10/31/00 07:47am
Re: Plotting Surface Area Graph with x,y,and z ... Aaron Honecker 10/31/00 07:48am
< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic