Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Help with Wolfram Finance Platform.' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Help with Wolfram Finance Platform."

< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Bill Simpson
05/20/13 1:39pm

So the problem appears to be in the difference between

ListLinePlot[GOOGPrice (1 + GOOGExpRet ConstantArray[1, 251] + BrownianMotion[1, 250]*GOOGvol), AxesLabel -> {"Time", "\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(S\), \(t\)]\)"}, PlotLabel -> Style["Simulated Google Price", Bold]]

and

ListLinePlot[GOOGPrice (1 + GOOGExpRet ConstantArray[1, {50, 251}] + BrownianMotionPaths[1, 250, 50] GOOGVol), AxesLabel -> {"Time", "\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(S\), \(t\)]\)"}, PlotLabel -> Style["Simulated Google Prices", Bold], BaseStyle -> style]

They are similar, one works, one doesn't. So my first plan of attack would be to look at the differences between those.

Is that trailing "BaseStyle -> style" in the one that doesn't work absolutely needed? What happens if I delete that?

The labels you are putting on the second on look like the labels on the first one, but is there any chance there might be a tiny typo? Drop the labels on the second one and see what happens.

After that what we are left with is

GOOGPrice (1 + GOOGExpRet ConstantArray[1, 251] + BrownianMotion[1, 250]*GOOGvol)]

versus

GOOGPrice (1 + GOOGExpRet ConstantArray[1, {50, 251}] + BrownianMotionPaths[1, 250, 50] GOOGVol)]

Now since I don't have, or don't think I have, the Finance platform I don't think I can see the raw data from the first one and the raw data from the second one so I can try to find the problem.

Can you add the data from each of those to the bottom of a notebook and post it? Perhaps with that the problem will be (more) obvious.

If you go back up towards the top of your notebook you see a red warning message and below that you see the data that Mathematica couldn't understand. Notics that you have a list with each element starting with FinancialData[MSFT,High... That isn't (<<<a date>>>,a value} repeated again and again. I'm expecting we might see a similar problem down at the bottom where what you are trying to feed ListLinePlot isn't the kind of list it (or you) are expecting.

This suggestion seems like good general advice for anyone posting a problem, show the actual data that is being given to the function that isn't working. Often someone can diagnose a problem if they can see the data and can't do that when they are not able to see, or generate, the data.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Help with Wolfram Finance Platform.')
Author Date Posted
Help with Wolfram Finance Platform. Milan 05/20/13 11:19am
Re: Help with Wolfram Finance Platform. Bill Simpson 05/20/13 1:39pm
Re: Re: Help with Wolfram Finance Platform. Milan 05/21/13 08:51am
Re: Re: Re: Help with Wolfram Finance Platform. Bill Simpson 05/21/13 6:38pm
< Previous Comment | Next Comment >Help | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic