Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Problem with Plot' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Problem with Plot"

< Previous CommentHelp | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Bill Simpson
05/23/13 12:02pm

You have been what I call "desktop published" again. That is where the use of fonts and character sets gets you into trouble and prevents you from getting a correct result.

Look really REALLY closely at these two lines.

2*Eta[Alpha,Sigma]))(2*Alpha*Gamma/(Sigma^2));

2*Eta[Alpha,Sigma]))(2*Alpha*Gamma/(Sigma)^2);

After you stare at that long enough, which took me 15 minutes of tracing and diagnostics and adding Print and finding a Null in the middle of the calculation and trying to figure out what was responsible for that and ... I finally see that is not ^. Make those two into ^ and your problem goes away.

You are also using Gamma, which is defined to be the name of a function in Mathematica, just like Sqrt or +, as a variable. That is another example of "desktop publishing." Changing that to something else and not using predefined names as your own variable names will be a very good idea and hopefully keep you out of some trouble in the future.

In general using user variables that begin with upper case letters is a bad idea and will tend to lead to more conflicts and errors.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Problem with Plot')
Author Date Posted
Problem with Plot Thibault 05/23/13 04:20am
Re: Problem with Plot jf 05/23/13 11:00am
Re: Problem with Plot Bill Simpson 05/23/13 12:02pm
< Previous CommentHelp | Reply To Comment | Reply To Topic