Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Bill
02/27/02 05:43am

I am plotting a 3D surface that is pretty complex, and in order for ImplicitPlot3D to find the entire surface, I need to use a lot of plot points. The problem is that the surface mesh is so dense that it makes the output ugly (because there are so many polygons). In fact I would like to use many more plotpoints if only I wouldn't get a denser mesh. Can the mesh be reduced? (I already know they can be eliminated).

Also I would like to put some surfaces in the LiveGraphics3D software, but the size of the 3d file information is too big and theres a lot of lag involved, once the 3d information is generated are there softwares or utilities that I can use to remove polygons that are not too important? My problem is that I cannot just reduce the plotpoints beforehand, because then ImplicitPlot3D does not find the surface well enough.

www.umich.edu/~thyg and try the "Karcher 4-surface" or "Karcher 5-surface" to see the problem I am having. In contrast, the "Scherk" surface is acceptable to me.

URL: www.umich.edu/~thyg,

Subject (listing for 'Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot')
Author Date Posted
Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot Bill 02/27/02 05:43am
Re: Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot Casey Mann 03/03/02 5:38pm
Re: Too many polygons/lines on a surface plot Casey Mann 03/05/02 2:56pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic