Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Mathematica questions' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Mathematica questions"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Gaurav Thakur
04/17/02 1:26pm

Hi all,

I am a new user to Mathematica and so far am very impressed by it. I only have version 3.0 at the moment but am waiting for a 4.1 upgrade to arrive in the mail. I had a few questions about some functions in the program:

Is there any built-in function for finding non-integer derivatives and integrals? ("fractional" derivatives/intgerals) The D[f,{x,n}] function doesn't seem to work when n is not an integer.

There is a function called PowerTower[x,y] that seems to be recognized by Mathematica, but I don't think that it has been fully implemented, as I have not been able to calculate anything at all with it. (i.e. N[PowerTower[2,2]] does not simplify at all) It is not documented in the help files either and I found out about it through the MathWorld site; is this function there in version 4.1? (it is pretty important to me)

On a side note, I think I may have found a small bug in Mathematica. The input " Integrate[1-(x^2-1)/(x^2+1),x,0,\[Infinity]] " gives an error that the integral diverges, but doing this by hand or by finding an indefinite integral followed by a limit in Mathematica, it can be seen that it actually does converge to pi. This might have been fixed in the latest version though.

That's about it; thanks in advance.

-Gaurav

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Mathematica questions')
Author Date Posted
Mathematica questions Gaurav Thakur 04/17/02 1:26pm
Re: Mathematica questions Henry Lamb 04/24/02 03:22am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic