Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boundary' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boundary"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Oleksiy Andrusyak
03/07/03 2:19pm

Has anybody tried to model a Grism in Optica? I take the Prism component and change the Deflection Function for one of the surfaces from Refraction to Diffraction.

The problem I'm running into is that Diffraction uses the same index of refraction on both sides of the surface and by doing the manipulations above all I get effectively is a simple grating surface in a uniform medium.

If I do both Refraction + Diffraction for that surface, it works perfectly for small angles, but at angles > critical angle, I get TIR and the diffracted rays are all relected back into the medium, whereas a true GRISM should transmit (-1) and (-2) diffracted orders.

Is there a way to specify 2 different refr. indecies for Diffraction?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I NEED this component and have spent tons of time trying to model it. Thanks for your help.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boundary')
Author Date Posted
Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boundary Oleksiy Andr... 03/07/03 2:19pm
Re: Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boun... Henry Lamb 03/09/03 6:23pm
Re: Optica: Grism Modeling / Diffr. at the boun... Oleksiy Andr... 03/10/03 12:10pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic