Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Beginner: Programming in Mathematica' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Beginner: Programming in Mathematica"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Chris
02/22/04 11:40am

Hi all

I'm new to Mathematica, coming from a Matlab background.

I would like to know how programs in Mathematic are typically written. The documentation I have read so far deals with interactive use via a notebook.

I want to be able to write a program/procedure/function/method that I'd be able to call from another notebook -- how is this achieved? Where would I save this file? How would I call it from within Mathematica?

For example, I'd like to write a program that would take a table of multivariate data and then use the Expectation Maximisation algorithm to form a Gaussian Mixture Model (GMM) of the distribution of the data points. I know how to do this in Matlab, but how does one go about doing something like this in Mathematica?

What structured data types exist for representing the result (the parameters of the components of the GMM -- the mean vectors and covariance matrices and the mixing proportions)?

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Beginner: Programming in Mathematica')
Author Date Posted
Beginner: Programming in Mathematica Chris 02/22/04 11:40am
Re: Beginner: Programming in Mathematica Henry Lamb 02/23/04 02:34am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic