Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'NDSolve Repeated convergence test failure' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "NDSolve Repeated convergence test failure"

Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Steve Ortiz
03/24/04 09:52am

Howdy! I am having some trouble with NDSolve. It gives me the following error:

NDSolve::"ndcf": "Repeated convergence test failure at ...; unable to continue."

I am trying to solve three ODEs, two of which are second order. This error occurs when the third equation reaches a state that eliminates the second order terms from the first two equations. Is there a way around this error? The system is still well-behaved, it's just a lower order after this point. The equations become rather long, so rather than including them here, I have attached my notebook file.

Problem background: I am modeling a simple double pendulum problem, where the mass of the second link is unknown and I use an adaptive feedback controller to determine its mass while applying torques to the joints to reach a desired joint trajectory.

Also, I noticed there is a product called Control Systems Professional (Student 2.0.1). Could anyone tell me from experience if this would help here?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Steve

Attachment: double-pendulum.nb, URL: ,
Help | Reply To Topic