Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Malfunctioning pagebreaks in text-style notebooks' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Malfunctioning pagebreaks in text-style notebooks"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Daria Boeninger
06/12/04 1:04pm

Hello,

I am having a problem getting the page numbering within a Mathematica notebook, with mostly 'text' style cell types to work correctly. I have attached both a sample notebook illustrating this problem and the Default style sheet I am using (no, I guess not, since apparently I can only attach one file, so I'm attaching only the nb itself. By the way, this problem happens with any notebook of mine, not just this one).

1) When I scroll down the document slowly, the page numbers are displayed in the lower left of the window. The complete sequence of page numbers, for me,
is:

2, 5, 6, 10

This of course does not make sense to me.

The first inner cell is of type "title". There follows a series of 5 sections, each containing of cell of type "Section", followed by a cell of type "Text", which is what I want. The page tick-marks are nicely displayed on the RH side. I don't have any confidence, based on my experience, that if I printed out this document, the page breaks would match the tick marks, but which is what I would like to have happen, so I can tell beforehand where the page breaks will occur. I haven't thought that printing will always cause a pagebreak at the beginning of new "Section" style cells. That isn't what I would want and doesn't correspond to the pagebreak tickmarks.
In the Options Inspector, the page break setting is "automatic". I have both "Screen" and "Printing" style environments, in the Format menu env set to "Printout", to maximize the liklihood of matching what I see on-screen, to what gets printed out.
If I can't get a simple thing like pagebreaks and numbering to work correctly, I am going to have to abandon my entire use of Mathematica. This is serious. I've wasted already a huge amount of time trying to get this to work. Can someone please give me a tip on how to this problem?

Thanks very much,

Daria Boeninger

robert@boeninger.org

Attachment: send to support.nb, URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Malfunctioning pagebreaks in text-style notebooks')
Author Date Posted
Malfunctioning pagebreaks in text-style notebooks Daria Boenin... 06/12/04 1:04pm
Re: Malfunctioning pagebreaks in text-style not... Henry Lamb 06/16/04 03:29am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic