Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equations' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equations"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Danny Holten
11/16/04 06:25am

Hello there,

I'm a Computing Science student from the Netherlands and I'm currently writing my master's thesis about texture synthesis for data visualization. I've created a model with 3 main parameters (u, v, and c) to generate textures. The position of these textures in a perceptually uniform texture space is given by <x,y,z> coordinates, which are derived from u, v, and c. In essence, x, y, and z are functions of u, v, and c.

I would also like to be able to determine what u, v and c values correspond to a certain <x,y,z> point by making u, v and c functions of x, y, and z. I started by entering my UVC-to-XYZ functions into Mathematica (a system of 3 equations; one for x, y, and z, respectively) and trying to solve for u, v, and c (ending up with XYZ-To-UVC functions), but Mathematica returned the error that "The equations appear to involve the variables to be solved for in an essentially non-algebraic way.".

The Mathematica notebook can be found at http://danny.inforumweb.nl/XYZToUVC.nb. If someone would be willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to perform the required operations, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Danny Holten.

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equations')
Author Date Posted
Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equations Danny Holten 11/16/04 06:25am
Re: Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equat... Andrew DuBui... 11/17/04 6:44pm
Re: Solving for 3 variables by means of 3 equat... Danny Holten 11/18/04 3:16pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic