Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Limiting the domain of a normal distribution' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Limiting the domain of a normal distribution"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Jeremiah Williams
06/08/05 2:34pm

In the Statistics package, there is a built in command that allows one to define a normal distribution with a specified mean and standard deviation (NormalDistribution). You can use then use command Domain[dist] command to read the range of values for which the distribution is specified. In the case of the Normal Distribution, this will be from minus infinity to plus inifinity.

Is it possible to force the domain of a normal distribution to include only a certain range of values? For instance, suppose that I have a (large) collection of some object (say balls) and that I know the mean (say 0.5 kg) and standard deviation (say 0.3 kg) of the distribution. I can model this using the NormalDistribution command: NormalDistribution[0.5, 0.3,].

Mathematically, it is possible that this distribution would yield balls having a negative mass. In the case described above, this outcome would be somewhat likely. Physically, however, this result is not possible. In this case, I would want to restrict the domain to only include positive masses. Can this be done? Has anyone run into this situation before?

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Limiting the domain of a normal distribution')
Author Date Posted
Limiting the domain of a normal distribution Jeremiah Wil... 06/08/05 2:34pm
Re: Limiting the domain of a normal distribution yehuda 06/11/05 03:32am
Re: Limiting the domain of a normal distribution Henry Lamb 06/11/05 06:03am
Re: Limiting the domain of a normal distribution Randy Silvers 06/26/05 9:57pm
Re: Limiting the domain of a normal distribution Randy Silvers 10/26/08 3:43pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic